About the Program
Whether you are interested in professional development or pursuing human resource certification, the easy-to-use SHRM® Learning System Course is designed to provide you with an overview of key areas in human resource management. This course provides a solid foundation for managing the HR challenges you face in today’s demanding work environment. It supplies a current reference of HR practices, broadens the perspective of functional specialists, and strengthens individual competencies and productivity. The Human Resource Management Program provides high quality program materials, a web-based learning system, and instruction and program support in providing the SHRM learning system to HR professionals. Materials include six modules that correspond to the six functional areas, responsibilities, and associated knowledge as defined by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). The program is offered in cooperation with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) as a study material for the Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification examinations administered by HRC I.
Participants gain thorough knowledge of the following human resource functions:
- Basic human resource management practices
- Personnel selection and placement procedures
- Training and development functions
- Compensation and benefits administration and procedures
- Employee and labor relations (including collective bargaining)
- Health, safety, and security regulations and requirements
This fall’s SHRM Learning System course schedule and location will allow participants to choose a convenient location and delivery method. A live lecture class will be offered at the Virginia Beach Higher Education Center, just off Princess Anne Road, and live HD interactive broadcasts will be available at the Peninsula Center in Hampton, the ODU Main Campus in Norfolk, and the Tri-Cities Center in Portsmouth. To help you determine which location is most convenient for you, click on the links below to access each center’s information. Space is limited in each Center, so register early to ensure you have a space in the class.
The live class will have both instructors on site and will be delivered in a traditional format with lecture, presentations and discussion to cover the course topics but will be broadcast using the multi-media equipment in the room.
The live HD interactive broadcasts are held in a similarly multi-media equipped room at each Center where the student can watch the live broadcast via large screen monitors and interact with the instructor using a microphone on the desktops. Class activities such as presentations will appear on the monitors along with the instructor’s lecture.
In addition to the in-class discussion, instructors will take emails and schedule phone calls to answer questions outside of the regularly scheduled classroom time.
Conveniently located throughout the Hampton Roads area, ODU’s Regional Higher Education Centers expand the resources and places students can learn and are located in Virginia Beach, Hampton and Portsmouth. They serve as regional gateways and provide accessible, high quality education in the Hampton Roads area, providing high-demand and critical shortage professions with select graduate and undergraduate degree, certificate and continuing education programs offered in traditional and non-traditional formats including distance learning. In addition, the RHECs support the strategic partnerships and community engagement initiatives of the University, and also provide training and professional development space for many local school and business partners.
Located in the Princess Anne Academic Village, ODU Virginia Beach brings ODU’s rich community of experiences to the heart of Virginia Beach.
Conveniently located just off I-64 in Hampton, ODU Peninsula brings world-class education north of the James.
ODU classes without tunnels or traffic. In the heart of Western Hampton Roads where Chesapeake, Suffolk and Portsmouth meet.
Who Should Attend
This course is specifically designed for professionals with experience in general management or human resource management. It is especially beneficial for those seeking to advance in their careers, gain a broader understanding of human resource management, or “upgrade” their PHR certification to SPHR.
Contact the Executive Development Center at (757) 683-4603 or email Charlotte Anders, Executive Programs Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SHRM® Learning System includes six modules covering the entire HR Certification Institute body of knowledge so you will learn everything you need to for the PHR or SPHR exam. Modules were updated to relfect the new HR practice and legislation in the HR Certification Institute’s body of knowledge.
The most up-to-date learning modules include:
- Business Management and Strategy:
- Strategic role of HR in organizations
- HR business management skills
- Strategic planning process
- Evaluating the internal/external environment
- HR and the legislative and regulatory environment
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Employee right, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Job analysis and documentation
- Recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention
- Human Resources Development
- Organizational development initatives
- Adult learning and motivation
- Training and development
- Talent and performance management
- Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs (Government mandated, deferred comp plans, healthcare and other non-statutory benefits)
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Evaluating compensation and benefits programs
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Employee and labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Discipline and complaint resolution
- Risk Management
- Organizational risk
- Workplace safety, health, security adn privacy
- Risk Management legislation
- Only SHRM-designed program in Hampton Roads
- A Living Document: The SHRM Learning System provides periodic updates via the Internet. After your purchase of the system, you will be granted access to a SHRM Learning System website design to provide quarterly updates about any significant changes in legislation or HR policies.
- Career Advancement: This course is strategic in nature, preparing the HR professional for career advancement opportunities. The course features open, interactive forums and real-world case studies to effectively outfit you with the knowledge you need to remain competitive in the HR field. ODU strongly encourages those individuals registering for this course to have a minimum of two years of HR experience.
- Cost-effective Learning: Participants minimize travel expenses for professional development.
- Practitioner-focused and Competency-based: The curriculum is designed by subject matter experts and includes application exercises that develop specific competencies and decision-making skills.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Many participants will be eligible for employer tuition reimbursement.
- Action-oriented Curriculum: The course provides opportunities for HR professionals to network, share “real-world” experiences, and to apply what they learn to the workplace.
- Recertification Credits: Certified HR professionals can earn credits toward PHR/SPHR recertification. Participants earn 36 contact hours (3.6 CEUs).
- Upgrade PHR to SPHR: Professionals have the opportunity to test critical thinking skills and apply concepts, which will help them prepare for the SPHR exam.
Susan Craft, MS, SPHR, GPHR is the principal of Consulting by Design of Princess Anne, Ltd. She consults regularly with executives from a variety of industries and provides coaching, mentoring, and training in the Human Resource field. She regularly presents at conferences, seminars, and workshops regarding Human Resources. She is an adjunct professor for Old Dominion and Saint Leo Universities. Ms. Craft is certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources and Global Professional in Human Resources by (HRCI) Human Resource Certification Institution. Susan is currently the President of the Virginia Society for Human Resource Management State Council and has served as Treasurer, Special Projects, and State Conference Liaison. Susan has served as president of the Hampton Roads Society for Human Resource Management Board of Directors. In addition she has served on the Hampton Roads Chapter Board in various capacities. Susan is the current Vice Chair for the Eggleston’s Board of Directors and chair of their Human Resource committee. For the past eight years she has served as a judge for the Best Place to Work for in Hampton Roads. Susan obtained her under graduate degree in Human Resources Administration from Saint Leo University where she graduated Summa Cum Laude. While she was at Saint Leo’s she was inducted into the honor society, Delta Epsilon Sigma. From Troy State University she received her Master’s degree in Human Resources Management. She is a lifetime member of Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity.
Stacy Hawkes, SPHR: Stacy Hawks is a Human Professional with over fourteen years experience in the public and private sector. Stacy is the current Certification Director for Virginia SHRM State Council. In addition she has served in various positions on the State Conference committee including the current speaker chair for 2014 conference. She has also served in a leadership role at the local chapter, Hampton Roads SHRM. Stacy has earned the designation of Senior Professional in Human Resource Management Certification. Stacy lends her expertise to various activities including being a judge for the third year for Best Place to Work For in Hampton Roads. In addition she is adjunct faculty for Old Dominion University. Stacy completed her Bachelor of Arts degree from Saint Leo University in Human Resources Administration with honors.